Sunday, April 18, 2010

In This Week's Raytown Report

A Raytown Hoax in the Wind? Speaking of Truth Watch . . . Will the real Crystal Williams please stand up? High School News Last Week's Poll Results
Other News Sources Discuss
Raytown Can't Promise Summer School to Parents by Ryan Kath (Email: kath@nbcactionnews.com RAYTOWN, Mo – Missouri’s budget shortfall is creating uncertain summer plans for school districts, parents and students.On Monday, the Raytown C-2 School District had hoped to give parents a final answer about whether summer school will be offered in June. “We still don’t know,” said Dr. Allen Markley, the district’s superintendent.Even though the school year is in its home stretch, summer school remains a question mark for districts across the state. For the rest of this story use this link: http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Raytown-cant-promise-summer-school-to-parents/u9t3zPe2R0aGmm5KUPzUcA.cspx?rss=764 NEWS AND VIEWS by Greg Walters A Raytown Hoax in the Wind? by Greg Walters Last week an anonymous writer left the following post on the Raytown Report, “Yeah you heard it here first Raytown is getting two new businesses an I Hop and an Aldi's. Overheard it after a few beers from a Crawford. Apparently a developer has purchased one of their lots that are vacant. Good for Raytown.” Posted April 15, 2010 10:40 PM I wondered about whether or not the story had any legs so I gave Raytown’s Economic Development Director, Tom Cole, a call at City Hall. Mr. Cole told me that he was aware of the story but that there had not been any land transactions or applications for licenses regarding either an IHOP or Aldi’s. Perhaps the writer has some inside information. But more than likely, it is just the work of a clever mind with little to do on a Thursday night. I usually make it a practice to check out stories before posting them. A good example is a very informative post by “Truth Watch” this past week. The original post made some very bold accusations regarding the tax payment records of some candidates for public office. I replied to Truth Watch that I would need proof before allowing the post. The proof was provided in the form of a link to Jackson County tax records that clearly showed that property taxes were paid delinquently by certain candidates only days before they filed for office. Was the post about Aldi's and IHOP a hoax? Only time will tell. If so, I was caught off guard. I will be more vigilant in the future. Speaking of Truth Watch . . . Truth Watch is the pen name for an individual who has offered to write on an irregular basis about the candidates will be voting on in the August Primary. By placing the stories on the Raytown Report in this manner, links to the documentation backing up the Truth Watch report will be available to the reader. This week Truth Watch is reporting on the Jackson County Legislative race for the Second District at large between Henry C. Rizzo, D. Crystal Williams, Crystal Williams and Patricia Flucas. Will the Real Crystal Williams Please Stand Up? By "Truth Watch" Jackson County insiders will tell you that the Second District at Large race is really between two of the four candidates filed. The incumbent, Henry C. Rizzo, is Chairman of the Jackson County Legislature. He served on the Jackson County Legislature 1983 and 1984, was appointed to the Jackson County Legislature in 2003 to fill an unexpired term, and elected in 2006. His personal and real estate taxes are paid current. He did have several court cases going back to late 1989 and early 1990 related to his dealings with an auto dealership. His main challenger is Crystal Williams, a consultant with Policy Matters, a sole proprietorship to improve the lives of families throughout Jackson County and the region. This is her first run for public office. Her taxes personal and real estate are paid current. The only court cases for her is an occasional speeding ticket. So, who are the other two candidates, D. Crystal Williams and Patricia Flucas? D. Crystal Williams is really Diane C. Williams, but this only adds more confusion to her true identity. The address given at time of filing was 5531 Highland. But nothing comes back at that address to her name. However, when one digs a little deeper on Highland they will find Diane Williams at 5733 Highland. The Diane C. Williams at 5733 Highland $1,700.00 accumulated in back personal and real estate taxes. For a link to the Jackson County property tax records go to https://ascendweb.jacksongov.org/ascend/(ne0q2xj5mprlkc45tvwfq2q0)/search.aspx Truth Watch could find no public records tying Patricia Flucas to the address she indicated at the time of her filing. The best match with the last name is at 3325 Montgall Avenue. It should be noted that Flucas filed under an address at 3319 Montgall Avenue. For a link that varifies addresses and time filing go to http://www.jacksongov.org/filestorage/3277/3310/3330/Candidate_Filings_041610.pdf An interesting footnote to this bizarre race is that Patricia Flucas (according to County records) actually filed after the filing deadline at 5:02 p.m. Some politicians believe that if you can’t score the top spot on the ballot, then the last spot is the second best choice. As reported by the Kansas City Star, "She (Flucas) declined an interview and couldn’t tell a reporter which spot on the Legislature she sought. She said she did know who she was running against: “Henry Rizzo, and what’s that other woman’s name?” To read more of the Star article go to: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/30/1847335/jackson-county-legislature-races.html#ixzz0lSb35AzZ Whatever! The bizarre antics of the circus that took place in the filing for office in this race will probably prove to be just the tip of the iceberg. False candidates are not an uncommon tactic in the rough and tumble world of politics. But it is doubtful that anyone will be confused as to who the real Crystal Williams is come election day. Area High School News Archbishop O’Hara High School Principal Honored by Mary Pat Storms James C. Redd, Ed.D, principal of Archbishop O’Hara High School, was recognized April 11, 2010 by Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Missouri. Redd received the Lifetime Achievement Award for Service to Northwest Missouri State University during the 21st Annual Honors Day Luncheon. A 1966 graduate of NWMS, Redd served as a physical education instructor and football coach. Under his tutelage, the team won the 1979 MIAA conference championship. As Director of Athletics at the university from 1994-2001, the Bearcats won 30 MIAA championships and NCAA Division II football championships in 1998 and 1999. Redd accepted the position of principal at Archbishop O’Hara High School in July 2009. Archbishop O’Hara High School is a college-prep, co-ed Catholic school located in southeast Kansas City. For other stories about O'Hara use this link O'Hara High School Girls Soccer: Raytown South 6 / North Kansas City 0 By Ryan Murdock The girls soccer team scored 4 times in the first and easily defeated North Kansas City 6-0 on Tuesday night. All 16 Cardinals played at least 25 minutes in the game and Ray-South dominated the entire way. Leading the way for the Cards were Samantha Woodward who tallied 3 goals and 1 assist and Ashley Chandler, who had 2 goals and 3 assists. Emily Peters also scored a goal and had an assist. Megan Vaughn and Jamie Patterson combined for the shutout. Each made 4 saves in the game. For more stories about Raytown South High School Activitiesuse this link Raytown South High School Last Week’s Poll Results In the August Primary Election, which ballot will you choose? Democrat . . . . . . 46% Republican . . . . . 44% Third Party . . . . 10%

33 comments:

Andy Whiteman said...

I think when we see good news we want to believe it is true or at least I do so don't truth check. Maybe one shouldn't believe anything heard over a beer.

When you are spending a large sum of money to open a business, you do some planning. It could be that it hasn't gotten to the application stage yet. We will believe it when we see it. If any of it is true, I am sure I will be long gone by the time they open the doors.

As for D. Crystal Williams, some people don't use their first name. I don't because I was always addressed by my middle name, hence don't respond to anyone using my first name. Just doesn't get my attention. Many people can't understand that I use a 1st initial, middle name, last name. As a result people will transpose my name and use my first initial as a middle initial or delete my first initial. My deeds have been filed under various names of which I demanded a correction. They don't cancel the wrong deed so there have been several deeds for my property on the county records. It has gotten to the point where I tell the title company that my name and mailing address must be correct or I will refuse to sign the documents until they are retyped.
That should explain the difficulty in finding D. Crystal William's tax records.

When looking for my tax records I had to use a wildcard search. That is how I found my several different names. Somehow my wife who was murdered in 1998 keeps coming up on web directory searches as being in Raytown.

Andy Whiteman

Anonymous said...

Andy:

I cannot find the piece again, but a report had spoken with the candidates and had listed that D Crystal Williams had given her names as Diane C Williams.

So it seems clear at least in this case that Diane C Willians is playing games with the voters at the expense of Crystal Williams.

Anonymous said...

Andy:

The posting from last Thursday too fooled me with high hopes of new tax revenue coming to Raytown.

As I ponder over the news from conversations at city hall, I am still left wondering if there is any truth to this that just might not have caught up with city hall.

We do know there are for sale signs on the Crawford properties. I also believe both companies in question believe in the American Dream, but not at the expense of the citizens to whom that would like to see patronize their establishments. Therefore if the deal is in the initial stage and they are not looking for us the good citizens to pick up the tab then maybe they don’t believe they need to engage city hall as early in the process.

I know what an idea and we all know Bower wouldn’t have thought of it because he believes we should pick up the tab just like with Wal-Mart, Hy-Vee and that worthless former Alderman Knabe.

Well, lets hope this is the case and a show to city hall that not every business is looking to take advantage of the taxpayer. For the record the new QT at 63rd and Blue Ridge Cut-Off didn’t stick it too the good citizens… So there are those who do care about not damaging other tax bases to the communities they serve.

Raytown is Waiting said...

Pat:

Last week you said you have spoken up at city hall. However, based on you own message that would have been some time ago.

Why not speak up now for city hall and lazy Vicki to get off their tails and do a major clean up of downtown before the completion of the 63rd street bridge.

Businesses looking to move in don’t need other business who don't maintain their property in the general area. They more business we can get the better our tax base and over all appearance. However, nothing is going to change until the business community decides to lead the way.

You love to talk the talk on this blog so I agree with Sofa King… Walk the walk!

Pat Casady said...

Sofa King and now Raytown is waiting,
This is what I wrote at the last of the other postings.

I don't get mad,
I will be 62 this month and I'm in the twilight of my
business life. I don't have much fight left in me anymore.
Ten years ago when I tried to form a downtown business
Owners association nobody would back me. They believed
Everything that came out of City Hall and it doesn't look like
Much has changed.
I learned early on that when you talk face to face with people
They will agree with you but, getting them to go with you to City Hall,
Well, lets just say it won't happen. Even your strongest backers
Will find a reason not to show up. Believe me I did just that.
I stood in front of ten aldermen and the mayor and read a composition
Of issues we, downtown businesses and property owners, wanted to
talk to them about. I was the only one that showed up. They voted
5 to talk to us and 5 not to talk to us. Mayor Frank voted the deciding vote. She voted no. But, she said they would talk about in their executive meeting after the city council meeting, that was for TV. The non TV vote was 2 for and 8
Against talking to us.
I'm sure they thought that I was the only complainer and they didn't put much into
What I was about.
After that I knew where I stood.
I started out with a fire in my soul but, now.....it's just a flicker.
It's like trying to get people out to vote, they tell you they will but, you see how that works out.

Andy Whiteman said...

"NCIS Gibbs Rule #3: Don't believe what you are told. Double check!"

I agree with Pat. I have spoken with neighbors who didn't like proposed ordinances. I told them when the BOA meetings would be. I was the only one there to speak.

I ran into a young lady at the Post Office who recognized me from TV. I asked her why she didn't come to the meetings. She said that she wasn't smart enough and didn't have the time. I told her I didn't believe she wasn't smart enough but I could believe she didn't have the time.

It is strange when the Pit Bull issue came up large numbers of people from both sides were at the meetings! I guess that translates to "you can mess with my business (or property), but don't mess with my dog."

I think there are 3 reasons that people won't speak out.
1) They are intimidated by the royalty at the castle. (Elected officials are their superiors.)
2) They have better things to do with their time. (Why go to the BOA and talk to the wall?)
3) People are afraid of public speaking.

Andy Whiteman

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Why go to a meeting and talk to the wall. The Mayor won't let anyone on the City Council discuss ANYTHING with the public.

If the Board members were smart they would realize how this makes them look like a bunch of oafs unable to communicate with those who take time to come to meetings and share what they think.

The Mayor is not too quick on his feet and has shown a very bad temper with anyone who dares to publicly disagree with him.

So, you have a hostile envirnoment with a bunch of people who don't seem to care if you even show up.

So why go to the meetings?

Anonymous said...

As a Raytown homeowner, parent, and community member, I wonder why you don't touch on the mess that has become of our schools. This is one of the few available sources of information on Raytown news, and one of the biggest outrages, has been unreported. Nothing has been said about what the school board budget cuts are doing to our childrens future. Heck, we don't even know if there will be summer school this year. We have all signed our kids up already and have been waiting for answers, but never get any. Please make what happens in our schools a priority from now on.

Andy Whiteman said...

9:52PM, I think the policy is to not engage in debate or discussion during public comments (a rule which the Mayor himself violated once.)

On more than one occasion the City Attorney responded after public comments were over. On other occasions staff has approached me after the meeting for clarification or response. I have even been approached in Walgreens by an elected official in reference to what I have said. Staff seems more responsive than the Board. I am sure the board hears but choses not to act.

Andy Whiteman

Pat Casady said...

Hear's the deal about going to the City Council meetings.
Please believe me I'm not making a personal attack on anybody.
It has been my experience that talking to the board is in fact like
talking to a wall. If you talk to them about business, there are only
a couple of them that have a clue what you are talking about.
If you ask why they did something they look at you like a deer in the
headlights. Mainly because they go with whatever the City Administrator,
the lawyer or the Mayor tell them to do. They don't discuss matters
because they are afraid of voicing their opinions because of being
bullied or worse.
They don't Ask the people what they think about certain items that effect everybody.
so they can't answer any questions.
Most of them have their own agenda and as long as they can get
something done that "they" feel is important, the heck with everybody else.
Everybody in the state knows that the deal on 350hwy was the worst thing that has
ever been done at City Hall and to Raytown yet, nobody can give a reasonable
explanation why they gave away so much.
When you get down to it they have a simple job.
All they have to do is "represent" the people and make life better for the
people of Raytown. Not big corporations and developers.
Ask yourself this. When was the last time your ward representative ask you what
you think? Better yet when was the last time you even saw your ward representative?
Then ask yourself, how can they represent what we think or what we would like to
see them do for this town if they don't talk to us?
In fairness I have to say I have talked with Mr. Steve Mock, Mayor Bower.

Anonymous said...

I hear that ole Joe Creamer is campaigning for Mayor Pro Tem. What a joke, this guy running your city while Bower is away. He doesn't even have enough smarts to come in out of the rain. I knew we were heading downhill, but this is rock bottom it this guy gets elected.

Andy Whiteman said...

9:52PM, If the BOA responded to every public comment, each comment could go on for an extended time. I have no problem if the issue(s) are addressed at a later time. In fact, that is what I expect. I expect each issue to be followed up on, not ignored by apparently talking to a brick wall with no emotion. The Mayor did not like what I said at the last meeting. He and one alderman made their responses privately.

Andy Whiteman

Lee said...

Why would any business be looking to move downtown right now? There's no indication of WHEN the bridge will be open again. I looked at Raytown's website, and the construction schedule will be posted 'soon'. Who wants to bet the bridge will be done before the schedule is.... It has only been 5 months since they closed it.

Anonymous said...

I find Mr. Cole's comments interesting, he did not say it was not going to happen, he did not say it was not in the works, he said no property has changed hands, and no applications had been made for licenses ( which by the way I did not have to do until i was ready to apply for a liquor license not when i wanted to buy my bar). So I wonder why he would just not say he was not aware of any Ihop coming to Raytown. Kind of makes one wonder what is really going on, and if he was being careful with his words then why... I smell another sweetheart TIF deal in the works, I would not get my hopes up for any new taxes Raytown.

Andy Whiteman said...

It has been reported that city hall said the 63st Street Bridge would be open in June. I think the schedule called for this summer. I have always noticed that construction, especially bridges, is S L O W.

The BOA meeting tonight reminded me of Survivor. I was getting ready to object to the game being played. Each alderperson was given a sheet of paper with everyone's name. They were to circle the name of who the wanted for Mayor Pro Tem. If one person received at least 6 votes, they would make a motion to name that person. Otherwise, they would have to have a re-vote. I resent our city government being run as a game. It could have been done in an adult manner.

Joe Creamer is the new Mayor Pro Tem but he didn't win the $1M.

Andy Whiteman

Anonymous said...

Why shouldn't they make their choice like a game show? For the most part they conduct themselves like a game show.

Have you ever watched a Board meeting and cringed as they race to make a second? More like kids in high school than adults.

They have delegated out all of their real authority to out of town professionals. What little is left they turn over to phony "over sight" committees to make their decisions for them.

That's whey their is no meaningful legislation coming from city hall.

And it shows in the neglect of our city's streets, the lack of code enforcement.

It is a sad state of affairs.

I agree about the statement on Mr. Cole. It does seem to be laced with all sorts of meaning.

Does anyone know the Crawford's well enough to find out the real story. Do they still own the property? Which onen is it?

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting story by Ryan Kath on your front page. I'm sure that the fine people are making the payments on the 2 million dollar sports fields. But they pull their hair out because they do not have the money to hold summer school.

This bunch running our School District have no understanding of what is important.

Let's see, sports or education. Why do we have the schools?

Their answer is sports! Wrong answer!!!

Pat Casady said...

I had the pleasure of attending a meeting yesterday afternoon
hosted by the Raytown Main Street Association.
This is a bunch of good people wanting to make Raytown a better,
more vibrant town.
This group of people isn't just for the business owners. It is a group that welcomes everybody that wants the best for this town.
It is a, not for profit organization. Everybody that works on or for
the RMSA are volunteers.
A lot of the decorations you see at different holidays are bought
and put up buy these people.
I know times are hard and money is tight but, if ever you were thinking,
how could I be a part of making this town a better place I would strongly
suggest becoming a member of this group. If nothing else just buy a membership.
I guarantee this is one place you will see where your money is going.
Membership is as low as twenty five dollars.
You people that read and write on this post know I very seldom have much
nice to say about what is going on in this town but please believe me,
this is worth looking in to.
Now.... I'll get back to my normal negative self.

Pat Casady said...

I was told that Crawford's only own the property at
350 and Gregory. The other two properties were
leased from Chrysler.

Anonymous said...

I've finally seen something that David Bower might be good at, a game show host, because he sure is a poor excuse for a mayor. His conduct of the election of the Mayor Pro-Tem was inexcusable. NEVER in my life have I seen such a grown man act in such a childish fashion. Raytown has definitely hit "rock bottom" with Bower as Mayor and Creamer as his lieutenant.

Andy Whiteman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy Whiteman said...

I couldn't believe that the city attorney was an active participant in the Survivor game at the BOA. (He and Teresa counted the ballots.) If asked, I wouldn't have been involved in that farce.

Andy Whiteman

Raytown Is Waiting said...

Pat,

Are the memberships open to everyone or only business owners in the downtown area.

Also thank you for providing this information to everyone on this blog as otherwise it would have been a dark secret of good work held from the public

Anonymous said...

Is the world coming to an end...

Well when an individual like "Simple" Joe Creamer is now on heart beat away from leading our city.

It was be a sign of the end of time as we know it.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have the offical vote as to who voted for Joe or did they play their top secret games again.

Anonymous said...

Pat,

If Sue had the board decided no by a 6 out 11 vote being she broke the tie and then went into executive session to vote again on this you need to go to the state.

However, I am guessing the time for them to get them on a Sunshine Law violation is over.

Last time I checked a vote in closed session to allow the board to speak to the public was not covered.

Also the next time you see Mayor "Nagative" Bower remind him of how NAGATIVE this action was by the one who hand picked him.

Andy Whiteman said...

9:26 AM, Unfortunately, I didn't keep a tally of the vote for Joe, but there were a few NO votes. Joe voted YES. He should not have been allowed a vote due to conflict of interest.

I am sure if you check the full minutes when published, there will be a vote tally. Or call Teresa 737-6004 and ask her. This is a public record!

Andy Whiteman

Pat Casady said...

To Raytown is waiting....

Anybody can join. It's not just for businesses.
Even non-residents can join. Anybody that wants
to make Raytown a better place can join.
I will add too, this is not something the city is doing.
This is and was started by city minded people
that really want Raytown to shine again.
They are all volunteers and put in a huge amount of their
time to make this work.
I strongly urge everybody that can join to do so.
Every dime goes toward making this town a better place.

Anonymous said...

Joe I hope ;your political adviser Michael Downing doesn't advise you to run for mayor. I believe your career is going to short lived.

Anonymous said...

Andy are we back to full minutes?

I thought that Nazi Mayor didn't do full minutes as he thought that was to much work for Teresa.

Anonymous said...

Why does the Board of Aldermen keep putting up with this worthless city clerk, Teresa? We've had many city clerks in the past and I don't ever remember one that couldn't keep up with the minutes. THAT'S HER JOB, why do we keep her if she isn't doing her job? Bower just continues to ignore the problems of our city.

Andy Whiteman said...

8:18AM, As far as I know we still have summary minutes but a tally of the votes is required even thought they don't say who said what.

It came out at one of the BOA meetings that Teresa didn't do the minutes. They were done by a private company or individual who transcribed them from a video. They cost the city $$$$ and weren't correct. Until I heard that I assumed that Teresa was doing the minutes. I was giving her a copy of what I had said because I was misquoted once.

6:53PM, The assumption is if a problem is ignored, it will go away.

Andy Whiteman

Andy Whiteman said...

WARNING TRAFFIC HAZARD:
This must be new because I never noticed it before. Exiting WestLake onto 350 HWY going NW there is a large sign blocking the view of oncoming traffic. Those going NW on 350 HWY might want to watch for traffic exiting Westlake.

I notified the store manager and will also notify Chief Lynch.

Andy Whiteman