Sunday, July 28, 2019

To my readers . . . Some have noted the Raytown Report was published late this past week. An explanation is in order . . . so here it is. I was out of town participating in Ragbrai (the DesMoines Register’s Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa). It has become an annual event I participate in each year.

Greg (on the left) and his
cousin,  Phil, on soggy Sunday.
Other than a very wet Sunday* the weather was great.

210 miles later, a bad sunburn, and a swollen right ankle, I decided it was time to head back home.

No worse for the wear – a little rest and the body does a fine job of healing itself.

I see there has been some excitement about the two committees working towards improving Raytown in the time I was gone. So I spent some time catching up on what has transpired in the last week.
*It rained ALL day long, followed by two hours of some very strong headwinds. In case you were wondering, yes . . . we ride in the rain.

BY GREG WALTERS
We are All
on the Same Side
From what I have been told, last week in Raytown was an interesting time of frayed nerves and anger rising to the top. Rather than re-hash what has already been well discussed on Facebook and the Blog portion of the Raytown Report, I thought it would be better to show some signs of progress.

Raytown Parks Improvement Committee (PIC)
The Raytown Parks Improvement Committee with the Raytown Park Board, is making positive progress. s making progress. With cooperation from the Raytown Park Board, I am pleased to report of some new ideas under consideration by the Raytown Park Board and its Director, Dave Turner.

Mr. Turner has shared that the Park Board is considering the purchase of LED Solar lights for use in Raytown’s parks. Recently the Park Board upgraded the ability of the police to monitor city parks remotely in real time. 

Which brings up an important point.

Some have complained on the Raytown Report Blog that all of the improvements are being made for one park.

That is not true.

According to Park Board Director Dave Turner, the proposed LED solar powered lights would be used in a number of parks. This is the first installment. The Park Board (wisely, in my opinion) has opted to see how well the new lights perform before going all in on the purchase.

The Raytown Police has also shown it is stepping up its patrol of the parks. Last week an event took place which has been a rarity in the past. According the Police Chief Randy Hudspeth, two citations for Curfew Violations at Kritzer Park, located at 11707 East 75th Street, were issued lasts week.

Nay-sayers please take note. Those tickets were not issued at Colman Park. For that matter, the new LED lights are being tested in a number of Raytown Parks. The Park Board is also considering the use of private security on Friday thru Sunday evenings to work with the police to enforce park curfews.

How do Other Parks Handle Curfew Violations?
ZIMMERMAN PARK AT 55TH AND BLUE RIDGE
I wondered how other parks deter curfew violations. So I took some time to visit a sports park operated by Graceway Church, located at 55th and Blue Ridge Cutoff.

Zimmerman Park is a huge sports complex located at the northwest corner of 55th and Blue Ridge Cutoff. It is a state of the art complex of softball and soccer fields. The playing fields are enclosed by chain link fencing. The only entrances also have gates to enforce its curfew after the park(s) are closed.

The complex is massive. It is larger than most Raytown Parks. Its history and how it resolved its problems holds some interesting lessons for Raytown Parks.

Tony Jacob, who recently ran for Mayor of Raytown, used to work security for Graceway. While working in that capacity at Graceway, Mr. Jacob was awarded a commendation for working with Raytown Police in keeping the park safe. (PART OF THE GRACEWAY COMPLEX IS LOCATED IN RAYTWON)

Jacob said the park did not always have gates at its entrances. The lack of a solid barrier was an open invitation leading to many of the same problems Raytown Parks is currently experiencing, such as the homeless attempting to make the park their home, criminal drug dealing, illicit sex and what appeared to be gang influence.

It was decided to gate the parks during non-use hours at night.

Once the word was out that entrance could not be made into the park at night, the homeless stayed away, the drug leaders went to more available location without gates and lax enforcement. The lovers went to other places for their intimate moments.

An interesting footnote, Mr. Jacob said that even if the gates are not locked, presence of them just being shut has made a huge difference.

We all want our parks to be a safe haven. We want them free of drug use and not a homeless refuge. We want to be able to visit go them without witnessing the seamy side of life. Most importantly we want a park system of which we are proud.

We need to open ourselves to suggestions for park safety that has worked in other communities and other locations.

Most of all, we need to remember we are all on the same side.
Picture shows gates at the old Super Splash Water Park location. The gates are left open (I closed them for the photograph). Each gate spans 28 fee in length. The same width as a residential street in Raytown.

The gates were built to close off the parking area to the south of the Water Park. The parking lot is currently used by tree trimming company for employee parking. There are also some large piles of mulch on the unpaved portion of the parking lot.

To leave a comment use this link
POST A COMMENT


Love Those Fiber Optics!
This past weekend I attended the Fringe Festival in Kansas City. The following photos were taken at the “After Party” at which the different shows were ranked and recognized.

The first picture of the pretty girl was made with a hula-hoop. The other pictures were created using a string of fiber-optic lines built like a whip. Very colorful....very fun!







18 comments:

Anonymous said...


We are not all on the same side.

Some in our community love to spur divisiveness.


Andy Whiteman said...

I remember several years ago when I was speaking with Mahesh Sharma or David Bower (I don't remember which) and was told that the new, bright lights in the City Hall parking lot were LEDs insWe both agreed that they were nice and bright.

I think it is a good idea to try them only in one park as a trial. But I suggest researching their dangers because more recently an electrician suggested replacing my florescent bulbs with LEDs. I normally use 5000K or greater bulbs so that I have daylight brightness but LEDs maximum is 3200K. I wondered why and started researching their hazards which are neurological issues and/or vision problems. I do have one 60W LED in a room that is use a few minutes daily but I decided NOT to install them as my lighting source in a room I use 12 or more hours daily. If I know any location is using LEDs I might go there for a few minutes only but would now linger there.

Andy Whiteman

Betty Rowland said...

The park board will purchase the lights by the lot. They are too expensive to buy one at a time. The lights to be installed will be 12' to 15' They are similar to the lights used on the streets. There have been no reports of neurological problems with lights that tall.

Anonymous said...

You usually say random things, but this is the least informed thing you've ever written. 35k (3500 Kelvin) or 4k are standard for indoors. 3200k isn't even a thing for standards.
As far as neurological issues, perhaps you are referring to flicker, which if you perceive in blue light you'll really perceive in amber.
If you have a 60w LED inside you're house that's the issue. You are replacing a 250 watt metal halide that is meant to be used to throw light over 20 feet, I don't imagine your ceilings are that high.

Anonymous said...

No reports because they aren't installed. Maybe that's the idea with sirens and these lights is to keep people out of the parks one way or another.

Anonymous said...

I normally try not to get on blogs and/or get caught up in personal matters. I had a e-mail sent to all City Officials, Mayor, City Staff, and news media. I thought by responding to the person who sent the e-mail, (which I noticed the first e-mail was not posted on this blog- Alderman Walters blog), but I noticed the response that I gave from my city e-mail was posted on his blog and my e-mail had been tampered with and wording added and cut out. Wording that I did not put in my original email nor did I put it on his blog and/or gave permission for such. Since seeing these tactics, I was hoping to be proven wrong, that all involved would be professionals. I refuse to respond to the second email that accompanied with past, "history lesson sent to me."

Serving notice: I did attach my response to "ALL" that were cc'd and sent copies to legal authorities and I will follow through with tampering charges.

Well this leaves one to see small minded, vindictive individuals are still at it and want to use others to do their dirty work. In other words throw rocks and hide their hands. When I came in the door, my first line of business was for change and transparency. I meant what I said regarding transparency, making changes in Raytown and moving forward. Raytown has changed and is continuing to change and ALL facets need to be willing to help with the change.

Have a Good Day!!!

Bonnaye Mims,
Alderman Ward 5

Greg Walters said...

Apologies to our readers for the delay in publishing Ms. Mims letter. We have re-published our response.

I just finished Alderman Mims comments about a message she sent to the Board of Aldermen and numerous other recipients. In her comments she suggested that someone had edited her copy. This may or may not be true. But I can assure my readers the copy we published from Ms. Mims was NOT edited by the Raytown Report.

Some other points to be considered.

1. Since she had copied all the elected city officials, her message is considered a public document under the Sunshine Laws in Missouri. Such letters are communications the public is guaranteed access to in Missouri.

2. In her letter Ms. Mims suggests refers to a letter written by former Alderman Joe Creamer. The reason we did not publish (Mr. Creamer's) letter was due to some descriptive language we believe to be vulgar. As any our regular readers are well aware, we do not allow profanity an in any shape or form on the Blog portion of the Raytown Report.

3. As for Ms. Mims claim that her letter was tampered with, I have the original message sent to us. It is time stamped and dated. I will be happy to share that document with anyone who wishes to confirm its authenticity.

Andy Whiteman said...

July 29, 2019 at 2:13 PM, 3500K or 4000K may be the standard for indoor lighting but it is NOT my standard because it is not bright enough for me. I normally buy 6000K or greater but 5000K is the lowest I will buy. As for the 60W LED, it is in a single fixture installed in what was once an unlighted area of my bathroom and the 60W LED was the brightest bulb that I could get to fit into the fixture but I refuse to use these 60W bulbs anywhere else. As far as I know, my ceilings are whatever was standard when the house was built in the 70's, I assume 8 feet. My point is is the Parks Department plans to use LEDs, they should research the hazards since long term exposure may cause issues in certain individuals hence law suits. I was just trying to save the City $$$$$$$.

Andy Whiteman

Anonymous said...

9:27 am - Wow, that's a lot of claims. Of course, there's no proof to back it up. Or, maybe there is. Is it on the floor in someone's garage? Have you seen a professional about your paranoid tendencies?

Tom Bailey said...

Of course the park department researched the lights. Do you really think the park department would put up lights in the parks that are dangerous to people? You just don't know what your talking about.

Anonymous said...


The lights are not up yet. Hopefully they will be soon. Lighting up areas of high criminal activity is a proven way of combating crime. The park board doing so is overdue. It is also most welcome. It shows they are listening.

Anonymous said...

I remember when they started the audit of Raytown City Hall that the auditor's said they would give the City Council and update on progress of their work. Does anyone know when the report will be made? Just wondering.

Anonymous said...

I called and asked for a copy of the email that everyone is talking about and got told I couldn't have it and when I asked why they said I'd have to request it and it could take a month or two.
A month or two for an email? That seems like something fishy.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of all on the same side, I may be late to this but I think lines have been drawn. If we want everyone in the community to work together perhaps that should start at city hall. It seems staff just want a rubber stamp. And it seems as there is not only disagreements but animosity between board member and the mayor yells a lot recently.
Maybe start at the top and people will follow that example, lord knows they are following the chaos now.

derek ward said...

A few commnents:

Andy - the color of the lights doesn't really impact "brightness". A high CRI bulb may be perceived as brighter, but ironically, incandescent bulbs that are on the warm end tend to have very high CRI scores. That said, there is some good evidence that cool lights at night cause problems. I hope parks will account for that.

@July 31, 2019 at 5:50 PM - the town hall last night was dedicated to gathering input about a specific subject -- rental regulations. I believe it was a great meeting and that many concerns were addressed. He's planning another one later this month. This is totally different from the Revenue Enhancement initiative.

@July 31, 2019 at 7:08 AM - I haven't heard anything about an update. I'll ask around, but I'm sure if Greg has heard something, he will chime in.

Andy Whiteman said...

Derek - I am not an expert on lighting but have experienced difficulty in looking at injuries and dermatitis issues on my skin with indoor lighting. An electrician told me to install 6500K tube(which he said are brighter) because they are considered to be sun light quality. Consequently I have followed his suggestion and get as close to 6500 K as I can at lowest cost. When another electrician suggested LEDs, I liked the lower electrical use but when I asked for 6500K, I was informed that the highest Kelvin rating available was way under 4000K! That made me question why? I did a Google search and found that people have had adverse reactions to LEDs. In one case it was a teacher who suddenly had an adverse reaction when her classroom was converted to LEDs. I don't know if people may stay in a park long enough to be adversely affected, but I still suggest that the Parks Board research that issue if they intend to use LEDs.

Andy Whiteman

Tom Bailey said...

Andy
Once again, the park board has researched the LED lights. The difference between you and the residents at the parks is you are close to the lights. The residents in the parks, if they stand directly under the lights, will be several feet away. You are in an enclosed house, whereas the people in the parks are in the open air. In other words, Andy, give it a break. Take you fears and theories to your own town hall.

Anonymous said...

I'm okay woth the gates as long as they aren't too expensive like they usually are because we don't have the money for them.
Is there a way we can build our own? I heard Jackson county builds their own.